The average American family uses more than 300 gallons of water every day in their home and yard. And it’s not just water that is being wasted; electricity and disposable materials are also regularly wasted. It’s no wonder that our environment is in danger.
At ICO Fairbourne Apartments in West Valley, we want to do our part to protect the planet and encourage eco-friendly lifestyles for all. These are some ideas of how you can live green at our apartments in West Valley, Utah.
Use Less Water
Here in Utah, we know that it can get dry in the summers. That’s why we need to do our part and be conservative in our water use. With these small adjustments, you can significantly cut back on the amount of what you use each day:
- Check for leaks. On average, one leak results in 10 gallons of water lost per day. Be on the lookout for leaks so we can catch and repair them quickly!
- Take shorter showers. A person uses an average of 37 gallons of water every time they shower. Try to shower quickly so you can avoid using more water than necessary.
- Don’t flush trash down the toilet. Flushing a toilet uses about 3.5 gallons of water each time, so don’t flush every little tissue you use to blow your nose or squish a spider.
- Don’t let water run. If you are washing dishes or brushing your teeth, don’t leave the faucet on while you are not using it. Make an effort to turn it off and then back on again.
- Run washing machines only with full loads. When you do laundry or use the dishwasher, only do so if the load is full.
These small adjustments in your habits will make a huge difference in your water usage.
Reduce Electricity Usage
Like water, electricity is regularly and avoidably wasted. Here are some ways to cut down on energy use at our apartments in West Valley:
- Turn the lights off. When you leave a room, simply make a habit of turning off the light on the way out the door. And, if it is bright outside, use the windows for natural light.
- Unplug chargers and appliances. If you have any appliances or charging cords that aren’t in use, unplug them! This will significantly save on electricity used in your apartment.
- Wash clothes with cold water. Try to wash your clothes in cold water. This will not only reduce the energy used to heat the water, but it will also keep some of your clothes from shrinking!
- Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs. Using energy-efficient light bulbs can reduce energy use by up to 75 percent. You don’t have to switch out all your light bulbs at once, but once they burn out and need replacing, choose an eco-friendly option.
Cutting back the energy use in your apartment will both save money on the utility bills and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, contributing to a cleaner environment!
Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
One of the best ways to live green is to recycle, and we encourage all residents to get in the habit. Items you can recycle include empty cans, plastic bottles and containers, paper, and flattened cardboard. Be aware that you cannot recycle liquid, food, plastic bags, plastic wrap, or cups with plastic or wax coating. In West Valley, Utah, you can take your recycling to Salt City Recycling.
With these small adjustments in your daily habits, you can make a big difference in taking care of our planet. We encourage all of our residents at ICO Fairbourne Apartments in West Valley to adopt these practices.